BROOKLYN PERSONAL INJURY LAWYER
BROOKLYN PERSONAL INJURY LAWYER
Have you been injured in an accident in Brooklyn New York? Contact the Law Offices of Oliver C. Minott, P.C. for assistance in obtaining compensation for your injury. Our Law Firm is composed of highly skilled attorneys, with over 50 years of combined experience.
A PERSONAL INJURY CLAIM IN BROOKLYN NEW YORK
A personal injury claim occurs after an accident where an individual suffers an injury. The injured individual files a claim against a negligent party to obtain monetary compensation for medical expenses, loss of income and other losses attributable to their injury.
Under the law you may have a personal injury claim if you were injured because of the irresponsible actions of someone else. The majority of personal injury cases are based on the theory of negligence. In order to satisfy a claim for negligence four elements have to be satisfied.
- Duty. The defendant has a responsibility to follow the laws and act in a reasonable manner that
would not cause harm to an individual.
- Breach- Through the defendant actions or a failure to act properly- the defendant did not meet the
duty of care owed. The Defendant failed to act reasonably.
- Injury- Bodily harm or damage to physical property has been sustained in this injury.
- Causation- The Defendant actions, or failure to act, are a direct cause of your injury.
THE WORTH OF MY BROOKLYN PERSONAL INJURY CASE
Every single case in personal injury tends to be different , because the facts and circumstances are
always different in every case.
- The key question is how did the injury change your life?
- Was the change minor? Or was the change major?
- Will the injury interfere with your ability to work ?
- Will the injury require short term or long-term medical treatment?
- Did property damage occur? What is the cost of repairs or new replacements?
- Did the injury cause psychological distress?
The value of each case usually depends on the answer each injured person gives above.
Financial and Non-Financial Damages in a Brooklyn Personal Injury Case
- Present and Future medical expenses
- Lost wages and income
- Hospital Care and Rehabilitation
- Reduced earning Capacity
- Funeral and Burial Expenses
This compensation is easily confirmed through documentation-like receipts, bills, invoices, etc..
- Emotional Distress
- Pain and Suffering
- Mental Anguish
- Disfigurement and Scarring
- Loss of fulfilment in life
These damages are set aside for when a defendant conduct warrants punishment. Their must be clear and convincing evidence that the defendant acted with serious willful negligence. Driving under the influence cases are often considered in punitive damages.
HOW MUCH TIME DO I HAVE TO FILE A BROOKLYN PERSONAL INJURY CASE
You have 3 years to file a Personal Injury Law Suit in New York, in most cases from the date of your accident. In Municipal cases you have 90 days to file a personal injury law suit.
In addition, if your injury isn’t discovered right away, the statute of limitations could be paused to give you additional time to initiate a law suit. There are also exceptions for a child.
THE COST OF HIRING A BROOKLYN PERSONAL INJURY LAWYER
In personal injury cases you only pay an attorney fee if your attorney wins your case and recover a
settlement or verdict in your favor.
GET A FREE CONSULTATION WITH A BROOKLYN PERSONAL INJURY LAWYER
If you or a loved one recently suffered from an accident in Brooklyn NY. Contact the Brooklyn Personal Injury attorneys at the Law Office of Oliver C. Minott, P.C. Call Now for your Free Consultation.